Frequently Asked Questions
What is BizRun?
BizRun is all-in-one HR software built for Google’s office productivity platform, G Suite (formerly Goolge Apps for Work).
How can I add BizRun to Chrome Apps?
To add the BizRun app from the Google Marketplace:
- Open BizRun’s page in the Goolge Marketplace
- Click the “Install App” button
This will add BizRun App as a direct link in your Chrome browser. You can find this apup in the upper right-hand corner under the “9 square” icon. See example below.
Who in my company should install BizRun?
Your company’s Google Apps for Work Administrator should install BizRun for your company to use. When first installing, our wizard will guide your Google Apps for Work Administrator through the steps to load your people into BizRun. The Google Apps for Work Administrator will be asked select Organization Administrators, System Administrators and any additional Google Apps for Work Administrators.
Who can manage BizRun after installation?
How long is my free trial period?
The trial period for BizRun is for 30 days, after which you will be prompted to purchase the app. All of your actions and changes made during the trial period will be preserved once you have activated the full version.
Where will I find my people after installation?
BizRun imports your people from the Google Apps for Work Admin Console and places them in the LaunchPad. From here, they can be placed into positions in the Org View.
Building Your Org
Who can build my company organizational structure?
Who can view my company’s organizational structure?
Any person in your company with a Google Apps for Work account can login to BizRun and view the company’s organizational structure in the Org View.
How do I build my company’s organizational structure?
BizRun provides two options for constructing a company’s organizational structure.
- Drag and drop. Move people from the LaunchPad by dragging them into positions in the Org View.
- Use the Import Org Structure tool. This is especially helpful for larger companies. Load your company’s organizational structure in a few clicks from a .csv file. Click here for details on how to use the Import Org Structure tool.
Where are my people after installation?
People imported during installation will appear in the LaunchPad, which is visible in the Action Panel. People in the LaunchPad have been loaded, but have yet to be placed into the organizational structure. They can be placed into a position by dragging them from the LaunchPad into their position.
How do I manually populate the first Profile Node?
When installation completes, the Org View will display only a single empty Profile Node. This first Profile Node will initially contain no person or position information. Hover over it, click the Edit icon, and populate the missing information by doing the following:
- Locate your company’s top person in the LaunchPad, searching if necessary.
- Drag his/her photo from the LaunchPad and drop it onto the empty first Profile Node.
- Hover over the Profile Node and click the Edit button again.
- Click the person’s Position “gear” in the second Ribbon.
- Click Update Position/Org
- Update the position and Org information for this first Profile Node.
How do I create a new position?
See: How do I create a Subordinate Position?
How do I move a person to an open position?
- Click on theProfile Node of the person you would like to move.
- Click the “handle” to the left of the next to the person’s name; this can be found in the (third) Person Ribbon .
- Drag the person into the empty position you wish to move them to.
How do I move people into my Org View from the Action Panel?
- From the main menu click on the “Home” button
- In the Action Panel click on the “LaunchPad” tab
- Drag the person you wish to move into an open position in the Org View
Can I make changes in the Org View without generating approval requests or the changes being permanent?
Yes. Before you have clicked the “Enable Approval Workflow” button, none of your actions in the Org View will generate a Change of Status, Task or email notification. Before “Enable Approval Workflow” has been clicked, BizRun treats the Org View as a work in progress. See: Enable Approval Workflow
How do I create a Subordinate Position?
- Hover over the Profile Node of the Supervisor you wish to create the Subordinate Position under. Click the edit icon.
- Click the gear on the (second) Position Ribbon.
- Click “Create Subordinate Position”.
- Fill in the details in the form that appears and click Submit.
Who can create a Subordinate Position?
- the position’s Supervisor
- an Organization Administrator
- a System Administrator
How do I fill a Subordinate Position?
There are two ways to fill a Subordinate Position:
- When the Create Subordinate Position form opens, select the “Fill Position” option. Type in the last name of the person who will fill the position and click his/her name when the type-ahead displays the individual. When you submit the form, the position will be created with this person in it.
- Or, create an empty Subordinate Position and then move someone into that position by dragging him/her from the LaunchPad.
Can I create more than one Subordinate Position at a time?
Yes, anyone with the appropriate Role (see above) can create one or more Subordinate Positions. In the Create Subordinate Position form, enter the number of positions you would like to create. Initially all positions created will have the same title. Once created, edit the name of the position by clicking on the Position/Org Ribbon, and fill the position by dragging a person into it from the LaunchPad.
The Import Org Structure Tool
What is the Import Org Structure button?
Clicking the Import Org Structure button in the lower right corner of BizRun launches a tool that can load your company organizational structure in a few clicks using a .csv file. Click here for details on how to use the Import Org Structure tool.
Should I build my organizational structure manually or with the automated Import Org Structure tool?
The automated tool can be very useful if your company has a large number of people and positions. Otherwise you can create your company’s organizational structure by dragging people from the LaunchPad. After using the Import Org Structure tool, you can still make changes to your organizational structure by dragging and dropping people and positions in the Org View.
How do I build my company’s organizational structure from a .csv file?
Use BizRun’s Import Org Structure tool to load your company’s organizational structure. This is especially helpful for larger companies. After installation, click the blue Import Org Structure button in the lower left hand corner of your screen and the tool will be loaded. Click here for details on how to use the Import Org Structure tool.
Can I make changes to my Org once it is built?
Supervisors, Organization Administrators and System Administrators can edit a position or person, as well as alter the layout of your organizational structure at any time. Prior to clicking the “Enable Approval Workflow” button, these changes will take effect immediate without initiating an approval workflow or launching associated Tasks. Once you have clicked the “Enable Approval Workflow” button, any changes to the organizational structure will be routed to the appropriate Supervisor or admin for review and approval before they take effect.
Editing People, Positions and Orgs
Who can view and edit a person’s Personal Info?
How do I update a person’s Personal Info?
- Navigate in the Org View to the person of interest.
- Hover over and click the Edit icon.
- Click on the gear icon in the third Ribbon of a Node.
- Click on Personal Info.
How do I update a person’s Position or Org Info?
- Navigate in the Org View to the person of interest.
- Hover over and click the Edit icon.
- Click on the gear icon to the right in the second Ribbon.
- Click on “Update Position/Org Info” and make your changes.
User Roles and Admin Types
|System Administrator||(Highest-level administrator) Can:
|Compensation Administrator||Can view and edit compensation information of all employees|
|Leave Administrator||Can view and edit leave requests by all employees|
|EEOC Administrator||Can view and edit EEOC related information, such as ethnicity and race, of all employees|
Who can install BizRun and import my people?
Only the Google Apps for Work Administrator or an admin-permissioned representative can install BizRun and import your people. For more information about what this means and how to find your Google Apps for Work Administrator, click here.
How do I make sure the Google Domain API access is turned “ON”?
Your Google Apps for Work Administrator must turn on the Google Domain API in order for BizRun to work. Turning this API on for your company allows BizRun to know who is in your company. You can find instructions for enabling your company’s Google Domain API access here.
Who can view, edit, and manage my company’s org structure?
See: Who can view my company’s organizational structure?
See: Can I make changes to my Org once it is built?
Who can edit a person’s information?
See: Who can edit a person’s information?
How do I alter the administrative Roles for people in my company?
During installation the Google Apps for Work Administrator selects your company’s initial System Administrators and Organization Administrators. After installation, Google Apps for Work Administrators and System Administrators can add or remove administrative roles for other people in the Settings tab of the Action Panel. [screenshot]
To edit user Roles:
- In the Action Panel, click the Settings tab and then click Users.
- Select the person whose Role you would like to change.
- To add a Role: In the “Add Role” box, type the Role you would like to add to this person (i.e. “System Administrator”). This is not case sensitive. Click the “Add Role” button.
- To remove a Role: [instructions]
Layout and Menu
What is the overall layout of the BizRun interface?
BizRun consists of two main sections: the “Org View” on the left and the “Action Panel” on the right.
In the Org View (left) users can navigate throughout the company’s organizational structure and view person and position information. Organization and System Administrators can initiate person and position changes by interacting with Profile Nodes in the Org View.
In the Action Panel (right) you can review Change of Status transactions and Tasks assigned to you and view the company Directory. Administrators can change Org names, modify Change of Status workflows, alter Task Lists, add and remove user Roles, modify account settings, change application settings, and reassign items.
What is an “Org”?
The Org is a section of your company that starts with a single person and position and includes the people and positions in their downstream. Each Org has a name and is color-coded. In the Org View area, each person and position in the Org will have a colored circle around them. This color also matches the (top) Org Ribbon.
How do I navigate around my Org View?
There are multiple ways to navigate around the Org View.
- Use the Navigation Thumbnail in the upper left corner of the Org View. Grab and drag the orange box within the thumbnail to select the portion of your company’s organizational structure you wish to display in the Org View.
- In the Org View, hold down your right mouse button and drag to move to the area you wish to display.
- Use the wheel on your mouse to scroll up and down within the Org View.
How do I see people below and above each position?
Above and below each Profile Node in the Org View, there is a “+” or “-” sign. Click the “+” to reveal additional Profile Nodes; click the “-” to collapse them.
What is the “Action Panel”?
The Action Panel the area in the right hand side of the BizRun application interface. This area allows people to review their assigned Change of Status transactions and Tasks and view the company Directory. Administrators can change Org names, modify Change of Status workflows, alter Task Lists, add and remove user Roles, modify account settings, change application settings, and reassign items. Here you can:
- Onboard a new person
- Create a new position
- Move people into the Org View
- Edit a person’s Roles
- Review and vote on a Change of Status
- View pending Changes of Status
- Edit Settings
- Find links to Help resources
Between the Org View and the Action Panel, you will find a toolbar with a small arrow (“>” or “<“). Click “>” to collapse the Action Panel and expand the Org View. Click “<” to expand the Action Panel.
Do menu options in the Action Panel differ based on your Roles?
Yes. All BizRun users will see the Home, About and Help tabs in the Action Panel. Administrators will also see the Settings and Reassign tabs. The Settings tab is where account details, payments, usage, roles and pricing can be changed. The Reassign tab is where Changes of Status and Tasks can be reassigned.
What is a “Profile Node”?
BizRun displays each of the people within your organizational structure as a photo inside a circular shape. We refer to these circular shapes as Profile Nodes. Profile Nodes can be clicked to reveal a person’s personal, position and Org information.
What is a “Ribbon”?
After clicking on a Profile Node, a colored menu will appear, containing three strips or Ribbons. The top Ribbon is the Org Ribbon, displaying the name and color of that person’s Org. The middle one is the Position Ribbon, which displays the person’s title. The bottom one is the Person Ribbon, which displays the person’s name.
How do I navigate throughout the Org View?
See: How do I navigate around my Org View?
How do I view the area above and beneath an individual or position?
See: How do I see people below and above each position?
Enable Approval Workflow
What is Workflow?
Workflow is the sequence of steps through which a Change of Status and associated Tasks pass from initiation to completion. Change of Status workflows include moving people or positions, filling open positions, changing titles, creating or eliminating positions, onboarding new people, and terminations. Each step in a Change of Status workflow requires approval by the appropriate Supervisors and administrators.
What is the “Enable Approval Workflow” button?
After installation and import of your people, BizRun allows users to build their organizational structure without requiring approvals or launching associated Tasks. Once satisfied with the initial organizational structure, an Organization or System Administrator will click the Enable Approval Workflow button at the bottom right. From this point forward any changes to the Org will launch Change of Status workflows and associated Tasks.
What steps should I take before clicking the Enable Approval Workflow button?
Before the Enable Approval Workflow button has been clicked, Organization and System Administrators can make changes to your company’s organizational structure and to the workflows and Task Lists without generating notifications or initiating Change of Status transactions. Any changes they make simply take effect immediately. Once the Organization or System Admin has configured BizRun for your company, it is time to Enable Approval Workflow, so that other Supervisors and administrators can provide approvals and comments of changes to your organization.
Before clicking Enable Approval Workflow, make sure the following are completed:
- All people have been imported into BizRun
- All positions have been created and arranged correctly in the organizational structure
- All people have been placed in positions; no one is remaining in the LaunchPad
- All Org, position and people names are correct
- Workflow Settings are correct for every Change of Status type
- Task Lists are configured for any Change of Status that should launch associated Tasks
- All people who should have Organization or System Administration Roles have been configured
After the Enable Approval Workflow button has been clicked, what will happen when someone makes a change?
Once the Enable Approval Workflow button has been clicked, when changes are made a Change of Status will be generated. Required approvers will be sent email notifications and will be able to view the Change of Status in the Active pane of the Action Panel. The Change of Status will move through its workflow until it has been approved by all approvers. Once approved, any Tasks, if applicable, will be assigned.
Can I Suspend an approval workflow?
Yes, either the Organization or System Administrator can suspend a BizRun Change of Status approval workflow. Therefore, Change of Status transactions made during a period when the approval workflow is suspended take effect immediately and are automatically reflected in the organizational structure.
Images in BizRun
What image types are supported in Google and BizRun?
The ideal photo is taken or cropped from the shoulder-up, and taken against a solid background. This provides optimal clarity in the Org View.
What are the size limitations for profile images?
BizRun will automatically resize Google profile images of all people imported during installation.
Performing a Change of Status
What types of Change of Status transactions can I perform?
- Onboard person
- Move person to open position
- Update open position
- Update filled position
- Move open position
- Move and update open position
- Move and fill open position
- Move, fill, and update open position
- Create new direct report position
- Create and fill new direct report position
- Move filled position
- Move and update filled position
- Move filled position with downstream reports
- Move and update filled position with downstream reports
- Edit person information
- Eliminate position
- Terminate person
How do I initiate a Change of Status?
Change of Status workflows are initiated by either
- clicking the Edit icon on the Profile Node and then dragging the person or their Org to a new location in the organizational structure
- or by dragging a person from the LaunchPad.
The only Change of Status workflow that cannot be initiated in this way is the Onboard Person workflow. The Onboard Person workflow is initiated by clicking the “OnBoard Person” icon within the LaunchPad and completing the form that opens.
Who can see a Change of Status once it has been initiated?
After a Change of Status has been initiated, but has not yet been approved, here is what people will see in the Org View:
- The initiator of the Change of Status (the person who submitted it) will see the transaction as he or she submitted it. For example, if the initiator moved a person from Supervisor A to Supervisor B, that person will appear under Supervisor B in the Org View even before the transaction has been approved.
- Everyone else will see the Org View as it currently is without this change. In the example above, everyone else would see the person in question under Supervisor A until the Change of Status has been approved.
After a Change of Status has been initiated, but has not yet been approved, here is what people will see in the Action Panel:
- The initiator will see the item in their Pending tab
- All required Supervisors will see it in their Action tab
- Organization Administrators will see the item in their Pending tab
- Everyone else will see no reference to the Change of Status in their Action or Pending tabs
What is the minimum number of approvals required for a Change of Status workflow?
You decide. BizRun lets the Organization and System Administrators configure the number of approvals for a Change of Status. Approvals can be configured differently for each BizRun Change of Status workflow. For example, your company may require more approvals for a termination than a title change.
However, here are the minimum conditions for the two approval conditions: [instructions]
- If Supervisor approval: Giving Supervisor + Receiving Supervisor + Receiving Supervisor’s immediate Supervisor. BizRun can also be configured to include Organization and/or System Administrator approval as well.
- If only Organization and/or System Administrator approval is required: The Supervisor approval routing can be suspended so that only Organization and/or System Administrator approval is required.
What does the “Lock” icon mean when I see it on a Profile Node?
A “locked”Profile Node signifies that a change is in the process of being completed. For example: if you move a person out of one position and into another, the position they previously held will be locked until the Change of Status has been approved approved or withdrawn.
I have initiated a Change of Status. What needs to happen before the change is finalized?
If the Change of Status requires one or more approvals, each required approver will receive a notification. Your Change of Status will be reflected in the Org View after all required approvers have voted, and the effective date for your transaction has arrived. See: What happens if a Change of Status is rejected?
What is Voting?
Change of Status workflows are routed in parallel to the appropriate reviewers: Supervisors, Organization Administrators or System Administrators. Each reviewer has an opportunity to vote and comment. Reviewers can also see the votes and comments of other reviewers in real time. A “yes” vote constitutes approval, and a “no” vote is a rejection.
Can I comment on a Change of Status to provide other approvers with specific details?
Yes. Comments are submitted in real time to instantly communicate with initiators and other approvers.
What happens if a Change of Status is rejected?
When a Change of Status is rejected,
- The initiator is notified that one or more reviewers have rejected the change.
- Other revieweres will see your “No” vote and any comment you entered.
- The initiator is given the option to withdraw the request or to supply an additional comment.
- You have an opportunity to change your vote from “No” to “Yes” if you wish.
Creating and Using a Task List
What is a Task?
A Task is an action that must be completed as a part of a Change of Status workflow. For example, when a new person is onboarded, someone may be tasked with ordering their business cards or setting up their phone.
What information can be added or edited within a Task?
The following information can be added and edited for each Task:
- Person Assigned
- Detailed Description
What is a Task List?
A Task List is a list of tasks that can be configured to be launched with a Change of Status’s approval workflow. For example, the Onboard New Person workflow may have a Task List of 10 items on it, while the Move and Update Filled Position workflow may have a different Task List with 4 items on it. Task Lists are configured under Settings in the Tasks tab.
What is the relationship between a Task List and an approval workflow?
A different Task List can be created and associated with each Change of Status approval workflow. The reviewers of the Change of Status will be able to view the associated Task List as a part of their review process. Once the proposed transaction has been approved by all reviewers, the individuals assigned Tasks will receive an email notifying them that it is time to take action on their assigned Task(s).
When do you receive a Task?
The assigned person receives a Task once the proposed Change of Status is approved by all required reviewers.
Who can edit the Task List?
Task Lists can be edited by
- an Organization Administrator
- a System Administrator
What happens when the Task List is completed?
Once all Tasks on the Task List have been marked complete by the assigned person, the Change of Status will be correctly reflected in the organizational structure.??????
What action launches the Onboard Person Task List?
The Onboard Person workflow is different from other Change of Status workflows. It is initiated by either an Organization or System Administrator yet it does not require an approval workflow. Clicking the “Onboard Person” icon within the LaunchPad initiates the onboarding process. Once the appropriate information has been entered and submitted, the Tasks in the Onboard Person Task List are assgined.
Why can’t I delete the “Setup Google Apps Account” Task from the Onboard Person Task List?
BizRun prepopulates one required Task in the Onboard Person Task List: “Setup Google Apps Account.” For a new person to appear in the Org View, they must have a Google Apps for Work account with your company. This Task is by default assigned to your Google Apps for Work Administrator. Although it cannot be deleted, the assigned person and the detailed description section can be edited.
What is employee self service?
Everyone in your company can view your company’s organizational structure. BizRun allows everyone in your company with a Google Apps for Work account to login to BizRun and update their own Personal Info. As a cloud-based solution, people can access and update their Personal Info securely from anywhere.
What information is stored as a part of a person’s information?
Where do I update a person’s information?
Who can update a person’s information?
Who can view a person’s information?
The following people can view and update a person’s Personal Information:
- The individual person
- Organization Administrator
- System Administrator
- The person’s Supervisor
What is an email notification?
BizRun notifies the appropriate individuals, including Supervisors, Organization Administrators and System Administrators by email when their action is required, such as voting on a Change of Status. BizRun also notifies the appropriate people by email when a transaction has been approved/rejected, a Task has been assigned, or a Task has been completed.
What triggers an Email Notification?
Change of Status workflows trigger email notifications, as well as assignment and completion of tasks. Changes to Roles also trigger an email notification to the appropriate administrator.
Is BizRun integrated with my company’s Google Apps for Work account?
Yes. You will receive email notifications directly to your company Gmail account. The email notifications will provide you a link directly to the Change of Status or Task that requires your attention.